POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Orient questions : Re: Orient questions Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orient questions
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 17 Apr 2001 05:20:36
Message: <3ADC0B16.3C57B634@atosorigin.com>
Rune wrote:

> "Joshua English" wrote:
> > After the are light keyword you can input two vectors,
> > they don't have to be strictly along the x and z axis,
> > so you can use <0,0,4> and <0,1,4> and it will create
> > the two rows of lights oriented along those paths.
>
> I know how a regular area_light works. What I'd like to know is how it is
> oriented when the orient keyword in MegaPov is used. Especially if the
> area_light is rectangular.

Using the "orient" keyword, the area_light shape remains unmodified,
but whenever a ray is computed to this light source, the area is
made orthogonal to this ray (rotation about the center of the area,
you cannot specify the angles to use/fix).
It's hack to have a kind of quick volumetric light

The picture in p.b.i is false:
 the area light do not become circular (their is a keyword for that),
it is rather a superposition of rectangular shape, rotated around the same
point and whose normal is the tested ray.

Beware of optimisations with big area_light and small objects.