POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Website Logo (26kau) : Retro (was: New Website Logo) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Retro (was: New Website Logo)
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 15 Apr 2001 03:36:30
Message: <3AD94F95.478F30DD@pobox.com>
Tom Melly scripsit
> > > It generally means design based around 1950's US design.
> > > Powerpuff Girls springs to mind.

Geoff Wedig added
> > Or earlier.  Retro as in "retroactive".
> > It's a look built out of old-fashioned elements.

J Charter wrote
>  "retrograde"  might be better
> And it is relative isn't it?  It means looking "backward"
> in time from whatever vantage you assume to take.  Mimicking
> sixties clothing styles today is "retro"

James Lileks, whose site (http://lileks.com/) is worth exploring,
commented somewhere that before 1970 or so there was no such thing as
`retro' as we know it.  Thirties style doesn't turn up much in Fifties
designs.

Dunno whether I buy his claim, but it's thought-provoking anyway!

The first example that comes to mind of paleo-retro ;) is the use of
`wood' typefaces to suggest either the Wild West or the circus.

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0### [at] p0b0xcom  --  http://ogre.nu/