POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC crater wip : Re: IRTC crater wip Server Time
18 Aug 2024 14:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC crater wip
From: ZenPsycho
Date: 10 Apr 2001 20:30:24
Message: <3AD3B4C6.706@yahoo.com>
Jari Juslin wrote:

> ZenPsycho wrote:
>
>> Ahh this is my first IRTC entry...  It may look off topic now but bare
>> with me. mainly I'm looking for comments on the waterfall, and the
>> lighting.
>

> I like the crater and landscape - they look somehow surrealistic and
> painted. How did you do them?

well, first I played around a lot in HLA (hf-lab with a gui)
i made a ring... roughened it up by multiplying and addiing in some
gforge landscapes. then i created a blank hf and made a single large
crater using the crater command and playing with the size and number
settings. using the sift command i centered the crater, and added it to
the ringg hf... and added some smaller craters around it. then
duplicated the hf, and applied the diff command to get a slope map.
white areas steeper, dark areas flatter..
I normalized both hf's and saved them.... and took them into photoshop.
using the slope map I created a new layer and added green to the dark
areas using various channels commands.. .diffuse commands... render
clouds to randomize the vegetation..  and added a dark glow around it...
and underneath that some greyish dirt with some noise for grain. then at
the very peak areas (obtained by applying levels command to the height
data) I added some snow on the peaks... then I took the shape of the
greenery.. copied it into a new image and used it as a bump map. along
with a little noise. I had to double the resolution to make the bumps to
scale.    it also has a sky map but I can't quite get a good camera
angle to where people still know it's a crater, you don't see the edge
of the hf, and can still see the sky.  working on it though.

does that answer your question?