POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chess set II : Re: Chess set II Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chess set II
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 7 Apr 2001 17:31:51
Message: <3ACF874C.769C9F35@interlog.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> If photons are used, you will need MegaPOV. While I don't know of a
> Solaris version, it shouldn't be hard to compile it.

I don't know of a Solaris version either and I generally build my own Pov-Ray
bins from the latest source about every 6 months or so.  Just for the fun of
it or some other perverse reason that I have yet to figure out.  I am way
behind on building a MegaPov binary so its high time I made an effort.  How am
I going to test it to see if it produced the same output as another platform?
Just a silly question.

> > ps: This would make a nice benchmark image for new processor and OSs.
> >  Makes me wonder if a MAC OS X system with a G4 could crunch it.
>
> Of course it could...probably about as well as a G4 running Mac OS 9.
> OS X does have speed benefits for some things, for example, Quake gets
> much higher framerates, but POV is almost completely CPU dependant.
> Assuming the settings give POV approximately equal CPU time on both
> OS's, I doubt there will be much difference.
> Of course, the OS X system will be a lot more responsive while
> rendering...and for a benchmark, you have a choice of a Carbon app that
> will also run on Mac OS 9, a Cocoa app, or a command-line program...
> The closest comparison of the OS's would be to run the Carbonized
> MacMegaPOV on Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, but it would be interesting to see
> how a command-line version compares.
> Since I ordered the release version of OS X yesterday, I should be able
> to carry out these tests myself fairly soon...

I'm really curious to hear about how Mac OS X is received.  Its not X of
course and its based on BSD unix and the Mach kernel so that's one hell of a
mixture.  Let me know how it goes.

Oh ... one other thing.  When you get the system up and running would you
please try to create a file larger than 2Gb?   I heard that the system will
die the moment you attempt to handle a large file.  Could be just a slanderous
rumour though.

I'll post my MegaPov build issues to povray.unix ..

Dennis Clarke