POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : [POVMan]version 0.71.4 released : Re: [POVMan]version 0.71.4 released Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [POVMan]version 0.71.4 released
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 5 Apr 2001 12:01:56
Message: <3ACC9732.D22D35CA@aetec.ee>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> The minor slowdown is caused by more overhead starting to evaluate a
> function.  The speedup is due to a (very simple) VM architecture and
> support for optimization of expressions.

Ahah! This (esp. optimization) may become handy in shading language VM
as well. I've thought, that it would be good, if isosurface and shading
language use same VM, for they are quite similar (talking within my
limited knowledge of iso functions, of course!) but this is still more
work than I want to do, especially now when 3.5 is around a corner.
Expression optimization: does this mean, that if expression's value does
not depend from run-time variables (e.g. sin(45)/sqrt(2)?), then its
value calculation is done beforehand? I've thought about doing this in
shading language compiler, but this is another not-yet-done thing.

> > How do these hooks work?
>
> They allow you to take the VM code and generate native code prior to
> rendering.
I'm interested in this approach (thinking again about SL VM). Is this
"home-made" solution or are there publications available about this
technique? Will this hooking solve cross-platform compatibility?

> > Vahur,
> > who can't wait for release of 3.5 to examine source code...
>
> You? ;-)

OK, I have to admit: I lied. My grandmother forced me to write this, she
is the one who can't wait, _my_ middle name is Patience ;-)

Vahur P. Krouverk