POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Bulge : Re: Bulge Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:32:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bulge
From: Joshua English
Date: 3 Apr 2001 16:12:02
Message: <3ACA2E76.2FEE10D@spiritone.com>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> I have the vectors for the shape. Can I extrude that instead of using csg
> and still do the bulge? I'll try your method just to get the hang of it. At
> the moment I can't understand how an intersection with a cylinder would give
> a bulge, but I'll take a deeper look into it.

A sphere might work as well, but you'd have a harder time getting it to look
right, I think. The cylinder provides the curve of the surface, as if you were
looking down the neck of the violin towards the base, then the violinshape
object gives the form of the violin. You don't want the flat surface of a
prism, so a cylinder will have enough curve to it to simulate the bump. I'll
post some images in p.b.i to explain it a bit.

Josh