POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Cool Movies and I-Stack overflows : Re: Cool Movies and I-Stack overflows Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cool Movies and I-Stack overflows
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Apr 2001 12:07:59
Message: <3AC9F552.3AAEA55C@gmx.de>
Tom Busey wrote:

> [...]
>
> I use CSG subtractions to add the grids on the faces (which are just
> thin planes).
>
> The problem with the grids is that I go from 7 minutes to render one
> frame about 2 1/2 hours. This is on a sun workstation with version 3.05
> (or something less than 3.1).
>
> I suspect that the problem has something to do with I-Stack overflows.
> I've appended the results below. It would be a big help to my research
> program if anyone had hints about how to solve this problem. I can post
> the relatively simple code if necessary.

Because of the I_Stack overflows i persume you are using quite a complex
CSG construction wich can slow things down a lot.  Since i don't have
quicktime installed, i wasn't able to view the movies so i can't say for
sure. Some pictures or a mpeg would help (you can post it in one of the
binaries groups).

Since this seems no unix-specific question, it would be better to ask in
povray.newusers or povray.advanced-users, feel free to set a followup.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>