POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov radiosity + crashes : Re: megapov radiosity + crashes Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:32:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov radiosity + crashes
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Mar 2001 02:48:38
Message: <3AC2E8D7.27C51F04@gmx.de>
you### [at] foadorg wrote:
> [...]
> The image renders fine so long as radiosity is not on. Here's my current
> set of radiosity settings:
>
>   radiosity {
>     count 200
>     distance_maximum 300
>     error_bound 0.4
>     minimum_reuse 0.025
>     nearest_count 8
>     recursion_limit 1
>     }
>
> I've tried it with a number of various settings, including having just
> count and distance_maximum; count has been variously 100, 150, and the
> above 200; distance_maximum has been as low as 50, no higher than the
> above 300; error_bound has been as high as 0.8, all in various
> combinations.

There is nothing problematic about these settings, just two things:

- distance_maximum is no more needed in megapov and should have no effect.
- the default recursion_limit (if not specified) is 3 (referring to your

I just tested these settings in a scene i'm working on and it rendered
without problems.

> Other things that might be of use in deciphering the problem:
>
> There are two light-sources in my image, both point lights; I have tried
> commenting out one or the other, and it doesn't help.
>
> I am using media in the image, but taking it out doesn't solve the
> problem.
>
> There is one fairly highly reflective surface in the image but it's far
> 'down' in the image and the render gets nowhere near it.

That's not necessarily relevant when using radiosity so i would test it
too.

> [...]
>
> If no one has any idea why this might be happening I'll probably start
> taking the code apart and rendering it piece by piece to see if I can
> figure out if there's something specific in my code that could cause this.

That would probably be a good idea, i have never had such problems with
radiosity although i did quite a lot of radiosity scenes, and I have no
idea what could cause this.  Anyway, you should probably start with
deactivating things using new megapov features, because those are the
things more likely to cause problems than the old and well tested stuff.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>