POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty metal textures : Re: Rusty metal textures (47k + 44k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty metal textures (47k + 44k)
From: Jari Juslin
Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:20:30
Message: <3AC1668B.90DEC355@iki.fi>
Stephen Bell wrote:
> I will try to make the sunken in parts of the gear more rough
> (material map?  I'll have to figure it out).

This tempted me, so I made few quick trials on rust textures.

Attached is two images showing what I managed to do. The first one
(rust0.png) is done completely with textures. It has two layers, the
bottom one makes the larger-scale pattern and level with bozo and
slope_map. The top one uses granite to give the rough small-scale
pattern. I had to make it with partly transparent layers, because I'm
not aware of any non-iso way to combine conventional textures. I think
it would have looked better if they were truely combined.

The second one (rust1.png) is done with iso surfaces, and it definitely
needs some more work. It uses just plain 3D noise to give some roughness
and bozo with slope_map for the levels - but, as levels are "imaginary"
and noise is "real", it seems that the levels disappear. Also, the noise
is too soft-looking for this. I tried with other iso surfaces, too, but
couldn't add results here, because the sample picture takes hours to
render.

I also used some phong and a bit specular high-lighting, because it
seemed to make the tests look more like the photo.

These ones are more the type of rust that was in the gear photo, that
the type that appeared in your render, because I needed the photo to
compare results with. But, I believe there is some type of rust existing
in reality, that looks more levelled, like the type you rendered. If I
have time sometimes, I try to find such photo and try to render such. In
such case some material_map could be ideal solution.

For these ones, rust0 rendered in 3 minutes, 45 seconds on Celeron 500,
with AA0.3 and radiosity. The second one took some 2-3 times longer.

--
          /"\                           |    iki.
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign |    fi/

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rust1.jpg' (44 KB) Download 'rust0.jpg' (47 KB)

Preview of image 'rust1.jpg'
rust1.jpg

Preview of image 'rust0.jpg'
rust0.jpg