POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aurora (7kbu) : Re: Aurora (7kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aurora (7kbu)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 27 Mar 2001 18:19:10
Message: <3AC11118.3988C891@hotmail.com>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> I decided I needed some atmospheric effects for my
> irtc entry (which I will post once it's more than a few cylinders
> and cones)
>
> This is supposed to be the aurora borealis.  It's an isosurface
> containing media with a function used in the density.
>
> For those who live far enough north to see the real thing, does
> it look right?

Here's a Norwegian "Northern-light picture of the month" page:

http://www.northern-lights.no/zope//Contest/Gallery/

The above link takes you to the photos of the current month, but
you can choose to view a lot of photos from prior months as well.

You'll probably notice that northern-lights comes in a great
variety of "shapes" and colours.

--
Best regards,

Tor Olav