POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aurora (7kbu) : Re: Aurora (7kbu) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 18:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aurora (7kbu)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Mar 2001 06:28:58
Message: <3AC0797B.B773C5E6@gmx.de>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> I decided I needed some atmospheric effects for my
> irtc entry (which I will post once it's more than a few cylinders
> and cones)
>
> This is supposed to be the aurora borealis.  It's an isosurface
> containing media with a function used in the density.
>
> For those who live far enough north to see the real thing, does
> it look right?

I don't know first hand, but i think you should vary the coloring.

> For the iso experts, is there any way I can randomly vary the
> distance between the peaks of a sine wave?

Well then it is no more a sine wave :-)

You could for example use a pigment function with a gradient pigment to
have full control over the shape.

You could also try a superposition of several sine waves scaled and
translated, but that would be mainly trial and error.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>