POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PoVMan Q: Shaders and displace warp? : PoVMan Q: Shaders and displace warp? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  PoVMan Q: Shaders and displace warp?
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 26 Mar 2001 12:43:43
Message: <3ABF8052.3EC4DEA4@reading.ac.uk>
Hi Folks,

Vahur or Chris Huff may have the answer, but I'll make my question
general ...

I'm trying to use a shader as the control pigment for a displace warp,
ie

#declare swirl = pigment {
  shader{
    shader_file "swirl.slp"
    "Rot" 2
    "Power" 2
    "Dir" -z
  }
}

#declare pig_base = pigment {
  crackle solid scale 0.4
  colour_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1]}
}

#declare pig_surface = pigment{
  pig_base
  warp { displace { swirl type 0 } }
}

plane{
  -z,0
  texture{
    pigment{
      pig_surface
    }
    finish{
      ambient 0.1
      diffuse 0.7
    }
  }
}

The shader compiles OK and when used as a pigment it gives something
close to what I would expect. I don't think it is quite right yet, but
close enough that I wanted to see what it did as a displace warp.

The PoV code parses OK and the render window appears (I'm using wpovman
0.71.3), but I then get a message "Rendering error. Pigment type 3 not
yet implemented" and the renderer stops. What I don't know is if this
message is given by the shader or by the displace warp code.

In the shader the only built in variables I'm using are P and Ci, so I
believe this should even work as a 'non-object' shader.

Any ideas out there as to why this doesn't work? If it would help I
could post the shader file as well ...

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.