POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity; the struggle for realism (80 kb) : Re: Radiosity; the struggle for realism (80 kb) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 18:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity; the struggle for realism (80 kb)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Mar 2001 12:44:46
Message: <3AB8E88D.1C2EB40@gmx.de>
Hugo wrote:

> [...]
>
> Someone have to break the barriers, and get raytracing to look better.
> And I know it will happen soon. But maybe it will happen to big
> commercial programs and not POVray. Who's gonna do it, if not ourselves?
> We are all sort of responsible for POVs further development.

But don't forget one thing: Povray is a raytracer and therefore light
sources are an essential functionality.  IMO the things you consider as
more realistic are a quite subjective selection.  In some aspects blurred
reflection is much more fake than blinn highlights, furthermore as
mentioned before radiosity can only simulate the diffuse lighting of the
scene.

Also the povray radiosity model was developed mainly for combination with
light sources.  In some way raytracing and radiosity are contradicting
models, a real (non monte carlo) radiosity program also needs to tesselate
all objects.

Referring to the things quoted above, it would be interesting to hear what
concrete things you have in mind that should be improved.

BTW, concerning your radiosity settings: 'adc_bailout' should be modified
when using high ambient objects.  The megapov docu suggests
'0.01 / brightest_ambient_object'

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>