POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity; the struggle for realism (80 kb) : Re: Radiosity; the struggle for realism (80 kb) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 18:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity; the struggle for realism (80 kb)
From: Hugo
Date: 21 Mar 2001 11:55:55
Message: <3AB8DCD2.DE54D245@post3.tele.dk>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> radiosity only effects the diffuse lighting of the scene, using
> extremely high ambient objects is not necessarily more realistic
> than light sources.

The enviroment is closer to real life, this way. With these experiments
I tried to make POV step up on a higher level.. The attached pictures
were simple, and I compared them to a similar picture, lit by an
ordinary light_source - that actually looked more fake, IMO.

> Try using good old faked highlights and things will be much faster.

Faster, true. And I wanted to make a macro/include file that makes it
possible to setup the whole scene with normal light_soucres and just
shift to radlighting in the final rendering (automatically changing).

Someone have to break the barriers, and get raytracing to look better.
And I know it will happen soon. But maybe it will happen to big
commercial programs and not POVray. Who's gonna do it, if not ourselves?
We are all sort of responsible for POVs further development.

Thanks for your input.  :o)

Hugo