POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity: Algorithm vs. Reality : Re: Radiosity: Algorithm vs. Reality Server Time
18 Aug 2024 18:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: Algorithm vs. Reality
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Mar 2001 09:58:36
Message: <3AB7701E.FD765123@gmx.de>
"news.povray.org" wrote:
> [...]
> the obvious thing is that the crackles aren't lit by the environment
> by radiosity, but only by the sunlight ...

- use 'normal on' in the radiosity block.
- it's always better to use real surface distortion (isosurface) instead
of normal.  Of course it's much slower.

> the second thing, (I'm not sure about this) is that there is this edge
> on the sphere, that makes it seem, to be a mirror...
> In the lower half the sphere is brighter, than the upper half. It's
> from the radiosity, reflecting the groundfog-brightness ...
> But I didn't expect such a sharp edge ... Maybe I'm wrong ...
>
> except these things it looks quite beautiful .. (I'think)
> Because it's short, I've attached the source here ...

Some things that should be changed:

- use finish { ambient 0 } for the sphere
- recursion_limit 3 is really unnecessary for such a simple scene.  1 or
maybe 2 is perfectly sufficient.  This also avoids the sharp blue/white
boundary.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>