POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k) : Re: IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k)
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 19 Mar 2001 13:02:59
Message: <3AB64AF6.4D82755E@mail.com>
This is a really GREAT render.  I really like the masonry and the design
of the castle, etc.

How is the wall lit?  It might be really useful to *try* a radiosity
render.  If it's supposed to be lit by the mist, IMHO I think the shadow
of the railing and a lot of other stuff is way too distinct.

Like others, I also think the individual stones need to be bumpier.
Maybe you could use a bump_map or something.  The texture should be a
mix of some smooth pattern like bozo and some creased pattern like
wrinkles or crackle. (check out some natural stone masonry in your
area).  Plus, if you are using crackle with metric 1.0(?) to make the
bricks, you might want to increase it to 1.2 or something.

Also like others, I think the glowing mist is too bright.  If it's
media, maybe you could put a dark, indistinct, huge figure somewhere
near the top.  It would make a dark area in the mist and give the
spellcaster a target.

Again, I agree about the sky.  If everything is supposed to be this
bright, how can you even see the stars (or whatever those specks
are...)  Have you tried to see the stars at night when you have any
significant light nearby?  Try looking out a window of your house at
night.  Everything you see is way dark because your eyes are adjusted to
the light.

Keep up the great work.

-Ben