POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Problem with PVMegaPOV : Re: Problem with PVMegaPOV Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:33:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with PVMegaPOV
From: Francois Dispot
Date: 16 Mar 2001 16:34:31
Message: <3AB286E6.5E1CF106@club-internet.fr>
Disnel wrote:

> When I render large scene (approx 350MB in memory) with PVMMegaPOV on
> one machine with two processors all is OK, but when I try to run it on
> second machine through network, pvmd at the second machine takes another
> 300MB of RAM. After some time it falls down to reasonable size, but it
> is strange. It is some bug in PVMegaPOV, or in PVM, or it has some reason?

pvmd itself shouldn't use that much memory. It is just a daemon handling
and buffering messages. It could start increasing its buffers if a huge
number of messages cannot be transmitted to their respective targets.

Could you please give me some more info:
- platform, os, version of pvm (mine is 3.4.2)
- did you use radiosity?
- when does pvmd eat memory (while its clients are
parsing/pre-rendering/rendering)?
- how did the render end (correctly?) and how the loads were balanced
(see the percentages achieved by each client in the stats)

This problem is unknown to me (I mostly run pmp as you usually do), and
was never reported.
--