POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Procedural clouds : Re: Procedural clouds Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedural clouds
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 15 Mar 2001 02:44:06
Message: <3AB072ED.131DB499@aetec.ee>
Tekno Frannansa wrote:

> Not bad!
>
> I recently implemented a real-time clouds simulation at work (I work in the
> games industry), so confidentiality probably prevents me from saying too
> much :-(. But I recommend you have a look here:
> http://www.eml.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~doba/pub_doba.html
>
> What I did was based entirely on the second paper there, called "A Simple,
> Efficient Method for Realistic Animation of Clouds". It's just about
> possible in real time (though we'll probably drop it because it's a bit
> expensive) but if you're pre-rendering you could get ridiculously realistic
> clouds :)
>
> I hope this is of some help.

Thanks for input. I believe that I looked at this paper, when I browsed
siggraph materials at ACM site. I've seen other papers there as well,
which use various approaches for cloud rendering. Perhaps if I have more
time, then I'll try them. But this attempt is based on Katsu's (Katsuaki
Hiramitsu's) approach. At least I believe that it is similar technique,
for he doesn't want to publish shader for this stunning picture (
http://www.edit.ne.jp/~katsu/image/cloud.jpg ), but he was kind enough
to give some hints about used method. So, time providing, I try to hack
it further to get more pleasing results.