POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A little something I've been working on (~120kau) : Re: A little something I've been working on (~120kau) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A little something I've been working on (~120kau)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 12 Mar 2001 17:40:30
Message: <3AAD512A.14E56BAC@unforgettable.com>
"Tony[B]" wrote:

> > Since it's a radiosity pic, having more stuff in there for the "light"
> > to bounce off of and creep around will make a big difference (not
> > catastrophically.. I mean, it'll add to the realism and that sort of
> thing).
>
> Yes...
>
> > That back wall sure seems thin, though, judging from the edges of the
> > holes.. and why is your sky getting lighter as it goes up?
>
> Yes, that's one thing I will be changing. About the sky, well, I dunno, pure
> blue was kinda too blue in the shadows.

You could always crank up the gray threshold.. but I simply meant that
the gradient should be darkening in the other direction. In fact, the
way your scene is set up, the majority of the skylight should be coming
from the near-horizon, which would make it even less blue, since the
horizon is usually a pale bluish-greenish color with some dust and haze
in it. The deep blue from the zenith would mostly get blocked by the roof.

> Well, I did use a granite normal all over the walls, and the floor and the
> table, but if you think I didn't use enough I'll increase the bump_size a
> bit.

I can see it on the table pretty easily, but not so much on anything
else. Of course, whether you want to change this is up to you. Lowering
the error_bound will help pick out the normal better, but I'm sure
you're familiar with what that does to the render time. ;)

I think it would aid realism to have the floor be a little grungy, and
maybe have some dust and dirt accumulating in the cracks and corners,
being exposed to the open air as it is and all. An image map would
probably work well for that.

-Xplo