POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another mengersponge... : Re: yet another mengersponge... Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yet another mengersponge...
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 12 Mar 2001 13:57:32
Message: <3AAD1C40.A259424C@aetec.ee>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

>     But is it a fractal isosurface or a fractal shader? Seems like a shader
> to me, not knowing anything about shaders.
Shader is probably not the best word for describing this. In version 0.7
I add feature, which allows to use shading language constructs and
virtual machine (which was created for shader byte-code execution) for
computing potential values for isosurfaces. So basically one can write
iso functions in C-like syntax, byte-compile them and use in iso-surface
calculation. As it appears, this works generally faster (2-5 times,
depending from complexity), than functions, which are written directly
in POV-Ray "language". And one can use more advanced features, such as
loops, temporary variables, etc.
Of course shader functions are slower, than built-in (i.e. hard-coded in
source code) iso-functions, about the same margin (2-5 times).
More about this is again in POVMan documentation.