POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another mengersponge... : Re: yet another mengersponge... Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yet another mengersponge...
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 12 Mar 2001 11:38:58
Message: <3AACFBC6.4DAD69C2@aetec.ee>
Simen Kvaal wrote:

> > Um, with better approximations, the volume the ray passes through will
> > decrease, and the sponge will become more and more *transparent*. You
> > will get a fainter and fainter image of the sponge, until it is
> > invisible. But as I said above, I'm only interested in an approximation,
> > maybe 3-5 levels...a real sponge would be impossible.
> >

> Interesting thought!
>
> I think you're right; it should be invisible.

I tried menger with different level of recursion. Iso-surface
calculation precision may affect results, so they are not definite, but
using recursion level of 40 made sponge disappear completely, level 30
showed only some very faint parts of it. Sponge with level 20 looks like
this:
(sorry about incomplete sponge: I left it on table for overnight and
mice thought that it was cheese and eat some of it. Next time I'll put
in place, where they can not access it! ;o)
Seems like sponge with levels up to 6-8 is acceptable, after this sponge
gets too blurry and loses its beauty.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'menger20.jpg' (20 KB)