POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polygons in a 3D plane? : Re: Polygons in a 3D plane? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygons in a 3D plane?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 12 Mar 2001 01:46:25
Message: <3AAC716B.178F7FC8@hotmail.com>
Snowman wrote:

> In POV-Ray, you are allowed to input 3 coordinates when using the triangle
> function. Thus, the triangle can be rotated and placed in any three
> dimensional plane without using the rotate function.
> Can you do the same to a polygon so that it lies in any plane you
> choose. I have tried doing this without success so far. I understand
> that all the points would need to fall on that plane.

They need to fall *exactly* in the plane.  My experience is that the
slightest round-off error can throw points out of the plane, and this
will cause POV-Ray to reject the polygon.

A better approach is to declare the vertices in the 2d coordinate
plane of your choice (x-y, x-z, or y-z), and then use a transform to
place it.

Triangles will work better, though.

Regards,
John