POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pov on Itanium : Re: Pov on Itanium Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:34:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov on Itanium
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 10 Mar 2001 09:28:17
Message: <3AAA3B0E.2140CBA2@peak.edu.ee>
Alessandro Coppo wrote:

> To my knowledge, the maximum is -O3. Either it is a severily patched gcc, or
> a completely clueless marketing guy or... just misinformation.

O6 is legal in gcc, but AFAIK doesn't actually add anything to O3 - at least on
i386. The maximum for pgcc on i386 is O7.

> To current knowledge, Itanium is dreadfully slow (it has already been
> renamed by writers Itanic...)

It is very slow with 32 bit code. I haven't seen any benchmark numbers with
native 64 bit code, but it is said to be quite fast.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt