POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothray cloth simulation patch.. : Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch.. Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch..
From: Jérôme M  Berger
Date: 9 Mar 2001 10:18:53
Message: <3AA8F45C.4080101@iname.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

 >> 	It could, but that would mean recomputing the cloth at each
 >> render which  would be very slow.
 >
 > What about cloth simulation *requires* this? It could easily be kept
 >  as  a persistent object, like the particle_system patch, or have
 > data stored  in a temporary file, like radiosity or photon mapping.

	This assumes you're doing an animation and want the cloth to evolve from
frame to frame. I was speaking more of several test renders of the same
scene for which having the cloth computed once ond for all is clearly
better.

 > Again, why? A cloth object patch could easily convert to a mesh on
 > the  fly. No need to output a mesh to a file or restart POV. What
 > is different about cloth that it can't be done like height fields,
bezier
 >  patches, or the particle_system?
	Unless I'm very much mistaken, you do recompute the particle_system for
each render don't you? (I don't mean each frame in an animation here)
This is too slow in my opinion, so you need to be able to perform the
cloth simulation once and save the result in a file (a mesh is the most
logical form of output here, though not the only one). Maybe the
particle system renders faster than cloth, otherwise I would argue that
particle systems should probably be implemented as an outside utility too...

	The ability to transform a bezier patch into a mesh is just a trick to
make the render faster. The point isn't what internal structure pov uses
to render a particular piece of data, but how the data is generated in
the first place.

	I'll return the question about height-fields to you: what is the
difference between hfs and cloth that would justify the cloth to be
generated in pov while the hf is generated by an outside program?
(Again, the fact that pov transforms the hf into something very similar
to a mesh for rendering is irrelevant here, the point is that the data
itself is generated by an outside utility).

		Jerome
--

* Abandon the search for truth, * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* Settle for a good fantasy.    * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger