POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : procedural patina (approx 19kbbu) : Re: procedural patina (approx 19kbbu) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: procedural patina (approx 19kbbu)
From: Ben Paschke
Date: 8 Mar 2001 20:27:23
Message: <3AA831AC.827EBB9E@rsp.com.au>
great! that's a promising reply!

the thing with the low resolution of the df3 is probably ok, because it ads
the added luxury of being able to choose how fine you -need- it.
Most of the low res detail from the df3 could be overcome by using more
detailed textures in the pattern.
Another idea i had, a little excessive but would look great for stills, is
using eval_pigment() to place geometric dust and crust in the cracks. I'll
keep that in mind when i have a go at the df3.

Is the main memory hit with df3's just the fact that it's a volume? (ie
x*y*z values) I wonder how you could make a df3 optimised for use only on
surfaces.. There must be so much data going to waste (ie all voxels that
don't coincide with a shaded surafce) ...

BTW, i really like the idea of being able to blur patterns; i appreciate you
efforts! How's it going, anyway?

benp