POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Network card - final : Re: Network card - final Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network card - final
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 7 Mar 2001 18:04:38
Message: <3AA6BDD7.B59F18CC@hotmail.com>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> final version, rendered with 2 dim area lights and high rad lighting, 34
> hours in total.
>
> a few niggles, but i am not going to tie my computer up for another weekend
> :)

Well done Rick !     I like this.

Here's some Nit-Picking from me too:

I suppose that the crystal in the "back" is
meant to be of type HC49/4H (industry standard
low profile package).

If so I think that it's modelled a little bit odd.
It's top should be "rounded off".

To show you others what I mean, I've enclosed an
image of a HC49/4H crystal.

BTW:

I once did a POV-rendering of a PCB for a electronic
design I did in my old job (triple PowerPC cpu card).

Back then I used some of the output files (gerber
files) from the PCB layout program to build the
POV-model.

IIRC I converted the different files for the top-
layer to black and white bmp-files. I made several
height fields from these. Then I scaled these
height fields extremely "upwards" and made thin
"slices" of each.

I textured each of them to mimic the different
layers in a real PCB. (copper for the tracks,
transparent green for the solder stop film and
white for the silk screen.) Finally I stacked them
on top of each other upon a thin light-green box.

At the bottom of my POV-gallery page at Crosswinds
you can see a cropped version of one of the images
that I rendered this way.

(There is at least two severe errors that would have
surfaced if the PCB really had been produced the way
this image shows. Can anyone spot these ?)

--
Best regards,

Tor Olav

mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom