POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sculpture in glass and metal 1 (51KBbu) - sculp1.jpg : Re: Sculpture in glass and metal 1 (51KBbu) - sculp1.jpg Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sculpture in glass and metal 1 (51KBbu) - sculp1.jpg
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 7 Mar 2001 16:40:19
Message: <3AA6AB86.98751094@unforgettable.com>
Justin Whitton wrote:

> In the continuing process of up dating all my past renderings to take
> advantage of the features in MegaPOV, I bring you some "glass & metal"
> works.
>
> I've got five of them to update, 1 & 2 are done so are posted here, 3
> is looking a bit ropey so probably will not appear, 4 and 5 should be
> finished by the end of the weekend.
>
> Comments, names and ideas of what they are meant to be are all
> welcome.

Some hints which you may or may not find useful:

- The more reflective an object is, the less direct lighting will
diffuse in the direction of your eye (because it's all bouncing off in
some other direction). To simulate this, set the object's diffuse value
to default*(1-reflection).

- Consider using variable reflection for glass.

- Assuming that the object is supposed to be lit by a small physical
light source, such as a light bulb, both shiny metal and glass should
have a much tighter specular highlight than you seem to have used here.
Try a roughness of .001 or thereabouts.

- Are you using ambient? If so, try using radiosity in its place (and
set ambient to 0). Even very crude radiosity is often better than ambient.

- Photons would likely take far too long, but you might set caustic
values for the glass if you haven't already.

I'm sure that other people will have suggestions as well (one of the
Chrises has a veritable pamphlet of lighting and glass-texturing tips, IIRC).

-Xplo