POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Meshes render a lot slower in MegaPov? : Re: Meshes render a lot slower in MegaPov? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshes render a lot slower in MegaPov?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:50:19
Message: <3AA65B31.68D5DC96@free.fr>
>   If you read my article again you'll see that I used the Windows version in
> both cases.

	Yes. Sorry for that I might be tired and didn't notice this fact even
in the two lines I copied from your message. It's just that I remembered you
usually talk about Sun machines, so...

> The official 3.1 was the MSVC compile and AFAIR the MegaPov version
> was it as well (it's the one downloadable at Nathan's site).

	Okay, but there you're not sure. Maybe it's not from the same compiler,
and a few threads ago showed the importance of compiler + options in unofficial
windows compile. Such speed difference is maybe that, maybe not.

>   You'll also see that, as I said, there's not noticeable speed difference
> when rendering other objects. In some cases MegaPov is even faster than
> the official pov.

	So it should not be a problem with compiler options. Oki-doki.

> : Do you use gcc on your Sun devices?
>   Yes, but that's irrelevant here since I tested this in Windows with the
> Windows compiles of both versions.

	Personnaly I would try on another platform, using gcc/cc just to be
sure if it's not related to windoze stuff. I suspect I'll get the same
results, but who knows ? Also, as suggested in the other reply, maybe just
to cancel any patch and recompile. No time to try on my side for now.
	Only one thing. I did extensive tests with Pov3.1g/MegaPOV0.6a/my patch
on meshes without any critical differences [Unix/Linux machines]. Actually
rendering time were almost the same. But they were not good-old-plain-color
meshes.

>   I know that. What I want is that if there are no special extra features
> used, then no extra work is done because of them. That is, if no extra
> features are used, then it should render with the same speed as pov3.1.

	Yes, but a few tests more might exist, e.g. ((UVmapping) ? No) that
is never done in Pov3.1g. I agree this cannot produce such a difference,
so there must be a real problem somewhere.

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr