POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Mar 2001 05:25:22
Message: <3AA4BB0D.FA54A566@gmx.de>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> I wonder how 3d graphics cards do it? I've seen something like tri-linear
> something-or-other gives the best results in games. Don't know exactly how
> it works and if it only works with bitmaps. The top one gives a nice
> 'paintbrush' effect. I would have thought to do something like the Blend
> option in CorelDraw for patterns but that might also be a bit difficult.

3d graphic cards work completely different.  First they only use rastered
2d textures, second they all use scanline rendering techniques.

BTW, Chris Huff's new blur method in fact does something like 3d rastering
and interpolation, different interpolation methods like linear and cubic
would proably be a useful feature.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>