POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Mar 2001 12:39:57
Message: <3AA3CF6E.1DD3F8DD@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:
> [...]
> This is the result of my first experiment in trying to get a completely
> smooth blur effect for patterns, without using too many samples. It is
> implemented as an additional blur type, and works by making samples in a
> grid relative to the origin instead of the evaluation point, then
> interpolating them. In other words, it creates a small voxel map and
> interpolates the voxel data to get a smoothly varying value.
> Currently, it only uses a 2*2*2 voxel map, meaning 8 samples total, but
> I plan on extending it to allow more, which should even out the
> "lumpiness" (which was intentionally exaggerated in this image for
> testing, and seems to be amplified by the JPEG compression, but is still
> noticeable with smaller amounts of blur). Um, any information on
> different types of image interpolation would be welcome. ;-)

I must be quite dumb today, but i don't really get how it works.  Maybe
just send the code to enlighten me.

Does it perhaps only work on repetitive patterns?

> Another nice thing about this method: it should be posible to cache the
> voxel data between calls to the pattern. This could speed things up even
> further.

That's also one thing i thought about when planning adaptive sampling.  I
planned subdividing a 3d grid and stopping when differences are below a
certain threshold value.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>