POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurface and Linux? : Re: Isosurface and Linux? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and Linux?
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 4 Mar 2001 22:07:36
Message: <3AA304A1.C0A9B5B0@yahoo.com>
> No, Moray is a graphical modeller for Windows which uses POV as the renderer.
> What you're thinking of is MegaPOV. I'm not sure how "official" it has to be for
> you to trust it; the isosurfaces are certainly functional, but there is no
> guarantee that the next official version of POV will incorporate or maintain
> backwards compatibility with any of its features (although it will indeed
> support isosurfaces in some form or another).
> The isosurface algorithm will produce good quality results in most cases, if you
> know how to use it. Gigantic pictures may or may not be a problem, depending on
> the complexity of your isosurface.
>
> One place to find Linux source and binaries for MegaPOV 0.7 is
> http://members.home.net/ceckak/mpov07

Thank you very much!

And now, more about IsoSurfaces...  I've been programming my complex object
using blobs and a single or two mathematical formulas and I have to tweak the
quality of the object by putting millions of blob components wich is Extremely
time and memory consuming, it's also very stupid....  for that reason I decided
to give a try to iso-surfaces, but I saw on Povray.org there were many
tutorials, manuals, etc about iso-surfaces, is there one in particular you
recommand for a beginner?

Thanks a lot!
  Simon

--