POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Megapov MCP sample (77k) : Re: Megapov MCP sample (77k) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov MCP sample (77k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Mar 2001 15:20:25
Message: <3AA2A38A.28F03C1C@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> I had done a pattern blurring patch before, but got stuck trying to
> figure out a good way to get smooth blurring without a huge number of
> samples. I don't know how suitable it is for isosurfaces, there are
> still areas with infinite gradient. I think I can figure out a way to
> get smooth blurring, though...

That would be interesting, i can't imagine a method right now that would
do this without a lot of samples. Adaptive sampling would help a lot IMO,
esp. woth block patterns, but it's quite difficult to implement.

> My patch worked differently, it was a pattern modifier, like the
> waveform modifiers. I never thought of implementing it as another
> pattern...seems like a good idea, especially in the case of block
> patterns, which wouldn't be block patterns any more after being blurred.
> I would suggest a different keyword, though..."blur_pattern", for
> example.

I don't like too much typing :-)

Seriously, i think the '_pattern' stuff started with pigment_pattern where
it's a good idea, like for warp_pattern too, but i'm not sure if that
should be continued with all patterns.

> One question: why do you still have the "grad" pattern, which should be
> possible with the "warp_pattern" pattern?

It was written before :-)
i will probably check if there is a difference in speed and take it out if
it's negligible.

> Also, I would suggest that "visibility" be a separate pattern...it
> doesn't seem to fit in with the object pattern, and would be better off
> not being a block pattern. Incorporating distance would be a useful
> feature.

There is already a seperate visibility pattern, but i did not yet include
it in the documentation, because it's quite preliminary.

try:
pigment {
  visibility {
    object { test_Obj }
    direction z
  }
}

Right now the effect of the object pattern with visibility can not be
identically achieved with the seperate visibility pattern.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>