POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field macros - attached files (1/1) : Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Mar 2001 03:40:46
Message: <3AA1FF8E.8F2568B4@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> 3D space, the surface of a 1-unit-radius sphere centered at < 0, 0,
> 0>...you could map the sphere to a 2D plane with the spherical warp, if
> you wanted, but this method lets you get completely smooth, continuous
> results.

Still didn't get it totally, but i suppose you will post some code
sometime.

> [...]
> This would be extremely slow as a macro or include...maybe too slow to
> be practical. Also, as I recall, Warp's tesselation patch works fine
> with isosurfaces using method 2, and the problem with method 1 is
> actually with the isosurface object itself, not the tesselation patch.
> There is that odd bug with missing/misarranged triangles, but that often
> doesn't pop up.

I have never gotten acceptable results with the tesselation patch on
isosurfaces.  I also remember that 'trace' does not work correctly on
method 2 isosurfaces and IIRC the tesselation patch uses the same
mechanism.

The nice thing about this method is, that it would not use the actual
object but the isosurface function.  My main idea for usage was to speed
up those endless isosurface - radiosity renders and in that case speed is
not so much a problem.  One could save the mesh once it's generated and
reuse it.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>