POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Open Source scene editor : Re: Open Source scene editor Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Source scene editor
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Mar 2001 11:18:51
Message: <3A9FC7EA.992AD4F5@gmx.de>
Scott Hill wrote:

>     And the problem is ?
>
>     Seriously - people keep on throwing in the requirement for a parser as
> being the main reason we'll never see a modeller that implements all of POVs
> features or seamless hand-coding - what a load of tosh ! POV parses .pov
> source files, right ? Therefore _any_ program can parse .pov source files.
> You know, it is possible to write a parser without borrowing the code from
> somewhere else !

Surely it is possible, but it would be *really* a lot of work to rewrite
the whole thing.  It's not only the pure language parsing, but also most
parts of the object specific routines like heightfields, isosurfaces, ...
- This would also include the whole pattern routines, maybe also media,
not to forget the macro stuff.

IMO it would be a lot better idea to think about including some OpenGL
preview in Povray itself like someone suggested some time ago. of course
that would not yet be a real graphical modeller, but it could be quite
useful.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>