POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Guggenheim musuem NY(WIP) : Re: Guggenheim musuem NY(WIP) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guggenheim musuem NY(WIP)
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 28 Feb 2001 12:52:45
Message: <3A9D3A1E.A383515C@videotron.ca>
Thomas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I bought a book about architecture the other week and it has a nice
> picture on the front of the Guggemheim Museum in New York. I made a very
> simple version of it in POV and started playing around with the
> radiosity. What I haven't been able to achieve is that the walls stay
> white, instead of the blue-ish tint they get now.

Your sky is waaaay too blue.  It would only get this hue if it was -25
degrees outside.  Try bumping up the red and green components a bit, the
bluish tint will probably dissapear.  It looks like you tried to
compensate by cranking up the yellow in your concrete pigment, which
leads to the problem of having the recesses not dark enough.

> And that the area between the cones stays really dark.

You should also add grey buildings (just boxes should suffice)
off-camera to try to block some of the sky from lighting the building
from the sides.  It will help with the blue tint as well as make the
recesses darker.  [Note that I have never been to NY, so I don't know
what the surroundings look like, but I seem to recall seeing Will Smith
chasing an alien there, and it was smack in the middle of other
high-rise buildings]

Making your sky a gradient with a yellowish-white "sun" on one side
should also help with the shadows.

> And the walls are too clean as well they need something that gives it a
> bit more structure, but normal bumps didn't look good on it. Any
> suggestions are more then welcome.

You can fake it by adding a faint bozo pigment, using some crand or
rendering it to a bigger image and then reduce the size of the output in
your favorite image-manipulation program.

--
Francois Labreque | And a four year old carelessly banging on a toy
    flabreque     | piano is not only 'music', it's probably the last