POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 - paperplane2.avi (1/1) : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 -- 3 attachments (65KBU) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 -- 3 attachments (65KBU)
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 28 Feb 2001 09:09:20
Message: <3A9D0675.BC87BFAE@xs4all.nl>
Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

> Also, I cheated:
>
> A) only the "right" side of the plane is really modelled, the left side is
> just a copy of the right scaled <-1, 1, 1>. B) a couple of points along the
> center-line are checked to see if they have crossed to the wrong side. If
> they have, they are returned to the center line. If I didn't do this the
> paper would "tear" on a couple of points.
>
> Yours,
>
>  -- Nikodemus

Cheater! 8)
It's a good trick, though. I was glad I figured out how to do it the hard way
and after that I could leave the rest up to my system (which needed a couple of
days to render the whole bunch).

BTW the method I used wasn't really very hard once I figured out how to do it.
Just find the line on which to fold, cut the model and rotate the parts around
this line. I also figured out how to more or less automate the correction for
the thickness of the paper. It's the long render times that were a problem
during the tests.

Remco