POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PVMPOV for win32 : Re: PVMPOV for win32 Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PVMPOV for win32
From: Thomas
Date: 26 Feb 2001 08:10:56
Message: <3A9A55DC.70207F5E@gmx.net>
> I managed to get the unix version of POV-Ray to compile under
> Cygwin,  I managed to get it patched to pvmpov, and even managed
> to get PVM itself to compile.
> Unfortunately t does seem to work properly.  I can run pvm,
> then start pvmpov.  pvmpov gives all the usual povray output,
> says it's started rendering, then just sits there doing nothing.
> From the pvm console, I can see that a job has been started,
> but nothing ever happens after that :(

Hmm, seems that you got further than me. I never got the thing to
compile completly. In addition to what Francios says, you might want to
give xpvm a try (I think that's what it's called), It's some graphical
program that shows all the PVM machines and shows all the interaction
between them. I think it only runs on unix machine but I'm not sure.
That way you can also tell what it hapenning.

> Anyway,  I've sort of given up on the pvm route, and I'm working
> on another solution.  I'm going to write my own simple distributed
> povray rendering program.  Nothing fancy.  Just something to
> split up the image and allocate a chunk to a each slave task.
>
> I'll let you know how I'm getting on when I have something
> working (or not!) :-)

Regards,

Thomas