POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PVMPOV for win32 : Re: PVMPOV for win32 Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PVMPOV for win32
From: Francois Dispot
Date: 25 Feb 2001 11:13:23
Message: <3A992F21.5647C559@club-internet.fr>
Jonathan Hunt wrote:

> > Since PVMPov is usually compiled with gcc under Linux you
> > might try Cygwin instead of the MS-Compiler.
>
> I managed to get the unix version of POV-Ray to compile under
> Cygwin,  I managed to get it patched to pvmpov, and even managed
> to get PVM itself to compile.
> Unfortunately t does seem to work properly.  I can run pvm,
> then start pvmpov.  pvmpov gives all the usual povray output,
> says it's started rendering, then just sits there doing nothing.
> From the pvm console, I can see that a job has been started,
> but nothing ever happens after that :(

Have you given a look at the logs given by pvm (under un*x, it is in
/tmp/pvml.<uid>) ?
It is very likely that your clients crashed with an error, and since the
"plain" pvmpov is not very brilliant at dealing with this, the master
process keeps waiting for its children to return information.
PvMegaPov is not perfect, but much better at this job.
Another first test is to run using the -n flag, just to verify if the
renderer works without using the pvm daemon and threads. Does this work?
Is speed correct when compared to m$vc?

I (and former pvmpov authors) know of no success ever achieved at
win+pvm+pov, but the question comes back sometimes. I have no experience
at win programming, I do not consider myself very good at pvm, but I
could try to help you porting PvMegaPov under windos if you want to
carry on.

> Anyway,  I've sort of given up on the pvm route, and I'm working
> on another solution.  I'm going to write my own simple distributed
> povray rendering program.  Nothing fancy.  Just something to
> split up the image and allocate a chunk to a each slave task.

Sooo sad :-(
--