POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothray cloth simulation patch.. : Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch.. Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch..
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 23 Feb 2001 13:52:38
Message: <3A96B0FE.35F2C07A@skynet.be>

> use the tools that work best for you). POV is a rendering engine: its
> function is to take a scene description and output an image or a
> sequence of images, since a cloth simulator outputs a mesh (or a set of
> points) it has no place inside a rendering engine and should be used as
> an external tool.

While I understand what you mean from a conceptual point of view,
there are clear advantages for making it built-in.  Clothray, working
"internally" has the ability to use ANY simple or complex POV-Ray
object as obstacle for the cloth.  Of course, external processing
would be the ideal way, but how could you keep such advantages
externally ?

Maybe, someday, POV-Ray 4's more modular architecture could allow
that, by calling relevant parts of the engine. But, until then...

Fabien.