POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Displace warp/gradient pattern (27+31k) : Re: Displace warp/gradient pattern (27+31k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displace warp/gradient pattern (27+31k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Feb 2001 06:55:04
Message: <3A925B1C.CD85ADFE@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> I almost wrote that pattern...does it just take the length of the warp
> vector?

Yes, although a version calculating the dot product with another vector
could also be interesting.

> I don't think the difference in speed will be very significant.

Probably not, although memory use will also be slightly higher, because it
needs a TPATTERN structure.

> > - Maybe a slope pattern that works for any specified object and not only
> > for the object it is applied to.
>
> I don't understand what you mean...

A pattern giving the slope of an object just like the slope pattern right
now, but that can be applied to any other object too.  The value would be
constant in direction of the slope vector.  Don't know if that would be of
much practical use, but you could for example have a CSG of a heightfield
and some objects with a slope texture of the plain heightfield.  It would
also be possible to use 'eval_pattern' on this.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>