POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Electrical schematics include - Multivibrator.png (1/1) : Re: Electrical schematics include - Multivibrator.png (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electrical schematics include - Multivibrator.png (1/1)
From: Dan Johnson
Date: 19 Feb 2001 22:29:11
Message: <3A91E60C.297BF165@hotmail.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> This is definitely an example of the extent to which POV can be
> mis-used...
> Combining two of my hobbies, I've created a small include file that lets
> you generate schematic diagrams of electronic circuits with POV-Ray. It
> is basically a set of macros for making wires and component symbols.
> It can currently draw:
> NPN and PNP bipolar transistors
> resistors
> nonpolar and polar (electrolytic) capacitors
> rectifier diodes
> zener diodes
> LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes)
> Ground symbol
> Wire connections
>
> It can also automatically fit the schematic to the output image,
> optionally leaving a blank margin area...if a component moves outside
> the visible range, the entire schematic is scaled down until it fits,
> while maintaining the proper aspect ratio. I also plan to add an
> automatic labelling feature. Also, the schematic is currently done as a
> texture on a box (using my object pattern patch), I will also try using
> separate objects...that may be slower rendering, since POV will have to
> do actual intersection calculations. Also, since it uses min_extent()
> and max_extent, and the object pattern, it requires MegaPOV.
> While it is probably useless for designing circuits, it could be useful
> for illustrating them...it makes it easy to generate nicely anti-aliased
> images at any resolution.
>
> This is just a simple astable multivibrator LED flasher circuit. I used
> a PNG because it wasn't any smaller as a JPEG, and JPEG left artifacts
> visible.
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff
> Personal: chr### [at] maccom, http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/
> TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg, http://tag.povray.org/
>
> <><
>
>                         Name: Multivibrator.png
>    Multivibrator.png    Type: PNG Image (image/x-png)
>                     Encoding: x-uuencode

I thought that looked familiar, so I checked, and sure enough, it is an
exact duplicate of something I made.  I was in a 4H electronics club, and I
combined that circuit with an oscillator to make a siren that shines one
light when is goes up in pitch, and another light when it goes down in
pitch.  I won reserve champion at the county fair, and I got a blue ribbon
at state.  I was going to scan in the circuit diagram made on a plotter
using professional software for comparison.  Unfortunately the computer I
was going to use to scan the image wasn't showing anything on the screen due
to hardware failure, and it wasn't mine, so I didn't feel a need to get out
a screwdriver to fix it.  Anyway your image is much better than the one I
was going to scan.  Now what would be really cool is if you could take a
circuit diagram, and have it render a circuit board with accurate resistor
color codes, and everything.  I'm sure people would pay money for that.

--
Dan Johnson

http://www.geocities.com/zapob