POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : I was staring at the Sun logo and ... : Re: I was staring at the Sun logo and ... Server Time
20 Jul 2024 09:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I was staring at the Sun logo and ...
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 18 Feb 2001 11:30:03
Message: <3A8FF893.62E58808@interlog.com>
OK ..  I'll give that a thought.  I was thinking of giving each piece
its own little identity instead of simply using increaseing steps of CSG
complexity.  At the moment I'm doing the following :

1 ) create the little "U" shape and call it an isomer

2 ) flip an isomer and stick it with another to create a logo_bit

3 ) rotate that one and stick it with a logo_bit to create a logo_half

4 ) rotate that one to get the entire logo

With that approach I end up with really just one thing that is
duplicated all over the place and a rotation of the isomer causes the
entire thing to rotate.  The results in some structure as well as
symmetry while the pieces flip.  Nice but boring after a few rotations.

With your suggestion I will create eight isomers as individuals and
assign a rotation and translation formula to each that is cyclic on the
domain 0 -> 1 .  That will that some work but I'll get on it.  The
problem still exits of the smooth edges and I think I'll just use a few
cylinders, spheres, and tori to create the edges.

Dennis