POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Camera position help : Re: Camera position help Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera position help
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Feb 2001 08:03:10
Message: <3A8FC80D.5D0B4CD3@gmx.de>
Jong wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>  I've been experimenting a little bit with the camera position. I would
> like to maintain my rendered
> image orientation. For example, I want my x-axis(Red bar) positioned
> horizontal z-axis(Green bar) vertical even if I change my camera
> position while looking at the same position of the object.

If you want z vertical and x/y horizontal, you have to use something like:

camera {
  location    <10, 10, 10>
  direction   z
  sky         z
  up          z
  right       (4/3)*x
  look_at     <0, 0, 0>
}

> One more question:
>   What are the meanings of the non-zero values of y and z in "right
> <0.35816, 0, 0.206784>".
> I learned that x value of right< , , > maintains ratio of the image
> output. But for the y and z, I have
> hard time understanding.

quoting from the doumentation:

"Note that the up, right, and direction vectors should always remain
perpendicular to each other or the image will be distorted. If this is not
the case a warning message will be printed. The vista buffer will not work
for non-perpendicular camera vectors. If you specify the 3 vectors as
initially perpendicular and do not explicitly re-specify the after any
look_at or rotate vectors, the everything will work fine."

BTW, please don't post html and binaries in this group, if an illustrating
picture is necessary post it to p.b.i.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>