POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Palace of Soviets : Palace of Soviets Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Palace of Soviets
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 17 Feb 2001 23:27:44
Message: <3A8F4F3B.AEFB358@istar.ca>
A little project I've been working on. Now that SimCity3000 Unlimited
allows users to import their own buildings as images, I have met
inspiration.

This will be the Palace of Soviets, a building that was designed (sort
of.. none of the reference diagrams agree with each other), but never
actually built, due to swampy land. It would have been taller than the
Empire State (the main competition, in terms of tall buildings) and
would have featured a giant statue of Lenin or the Working Man,
depending on what diagram you look at.

More info at
http://www.cmp.ucr.edu/exhibitions/moscow/Cathedral/The_Cathedral_4.html

I rather like the look of this building. Grand and elegant, yet rather
tacky.

Pov is wonderful for this kind of project since I can set up camera
angles and lighting to be entirely consistent with those in the game.
This view is not the final isometric view, but just a work in progress
shot.

On a related note, I'm going to need a model for the top of the tower.
Any Poser users willing to donate one?

2 images attached, one of my model, one reference shot.

Simon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'palace1.jpg' (48 KB) Download 'ds-vid.jpg' (28 KB)

Preview of image 'palace1.jpg'
palace1.jpg

Preview of image 'ds-vid.jpg'
ds-vid.jpg