POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : May I use include files provided by POV-Ray. : Re: May I use include files provided by POV-Ray. Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:43:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: May I use include files provided by POV-Ray.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 16 Feb 2001 16:16:28
Message: <3A8D9739.2241E03F@my-dejanews.com>
Nikumaru wrote:

>  I have one question. May I use include files provided by POV-Ray, e.g.
Textures.inc, Metals.inc and etc., for
> my work to enter the competition?
> Nikumaru

A more thoroughly honest answer is that if you make an image which is 100% yours from
scratch, you will derive
greater personal satisfaction from it, and it will obviously make a better "portfolio"
piece.  And of course, the
great masters of povray who often win the competition have the uncanny ability to make
a lot of things from
scratch and put them into breathtakingly photorealistic surroundings.

BUT if you say spend 20 hours making a detailed model and then 4 hours attending to
texturing, lighting, scenery,
etc.,  you will most often be rated much lower than someone who spends 2 minutes
uploading a Poser model and then
spends 24 hours attending to texturing, lighting, scenery, composition, etc.  "Not
that there's anything wrong
with that," to quote Kramer.  It did seem however that by asking the question, you
seemed to be paying much more
attention to original construction than, IMHO, many of the IRTC judges do.   I once
was astounded to read a
3dartists profile where a woman said her career goal was to be the best at "lighting"
for 3d graphics; I on the
other hand seldom have more than two point lights...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."