POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov 0.7 with Cygwin : Re: megapov 0.7 with Cygwin Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov 0.7 with Cygwin
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Feb 2001 18:11:03
Message: <3A8B1084.8A8E366@gmx.de>
Michael Andrews wrote:

> Jordan Ellis wrote:
> > If the PovRay source (generic Unix version) is not *nix/posix-dependant,
> > you should be able to compile it with the -mno-cygwin flag (or something to
> > that effect...) to remove any Cygwin dll dependancies.
> > Jordan
>
> This was what I meant.
>
> I think you have to install an extra zip file from the web site to be
> able to use this compiler flag (unless thye have integrated it further
> for the latest versions), but it effectively performs a MinGW32 compile
> rather than a Cygwin compile.
> It may make no difference to the performance of the compiled code, but
> users wouldn't have to worry about having the correct Cygwin DLL on
> their system ...

Thanks for that hint,

I finally managed to get it work without the DLL using -mno-cygwin, found
a nice text explaining this in detail BTW:

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mno-cygwin-howto.txt

Most things needed for it are already included in the current cygwin
package, but i had to compile zlib/libpng with -mno-cygwin, because the
libraries are not included.  Furthermore i needed the MinGW package
available for example at:

ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/

The only thing that had to be changed in the source was:

#define PRECISION_TIMER_AVAILABLE 0

in unixconf.h

The updated files are available on:
http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/povcyg.html

I did not yet have time to check if it's faster than before, any feedback
if it works right would be appreciated.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>