POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help, Height Field visual error? : Re: Help, Height Field visual error? Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help, Height Field visual error?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 9 Feb 2001 02:16:17
Message: <3A839942.1AFFFDDE@gmx.de>
David Whatley wrote:

> Hello everyone, I hope this is the correct group.  My apologies if it is
> not.
>
> I am having some difficulty with rendering heightfields (pov and megapov do
> the same thing).  I am getting a "patchiness" large patches on slopes that
> do not conform to anything reasonable as seen in this small are of an image.
> I've eliminated everything in the scene except the heightfield (feed by an
> image) and shaded with White.  I've tried other height map images, and
> everything exhibits the same symptoms.
>
> The problem is the dark gray patches creeping up the slope of this plateau
> which are clearly not conforming to the true shape.  In heightfields with
> gentle hills, I get the same thing (even more prominent).
>
> Any hints?

I can't say much from this small picture.  If you are using 'smooth' try
turning it of and see the result, it usually gives a better impression of
the geometry and resolution which is not changed by smooth BTW.

Otherwise a larger perspective view (preferred in jpg) and maybe the code
could help.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>