POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov bug : Re: megapov bug Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov bug
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 7 Feb 2001 16:17:37
Message: <3A81CC82.DB3B2CF@free.fr>
> > I think Chris Huff was working on removing that limitation, or was it
> > someone else?
>
> What would be gained by it ?

	The delightful idea that no software should contain size limitations
of any kind. Especially since today's home computers may accept several Gbytes
of onboard memory. I personnaly don't think that (again nowadays) memory size,
as disk space, is a "good reason" compared to CPU time. But even the last becomes
smaller day after day for the same jobs. So why bother with limitations ?

	[Well, sorry for that, but I'm currently enjoying supercomputers for
my research calculations, and once I ran a "small" job using 96 processors in
parallel. Was just for fun since 8 are much more efficient in my case... the
device has something like 256 R12000 MIPS processors though]

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr