POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texture declarations and object grouping : Re: Texture declarations and object grouping Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture declarations and object grouping
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 5 Feb 2001 15:42:40
Message: <3A7F10D8.D81FFB69@peak.edu.ee>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Yes - I thought of mentioning this. Actually, I thought of it the other way
> around - if you're creating "natural" objects, such as columns that have
> been weathered, then generally it makes sense to position your objects first
> and texture later otherwise it can be very obvious that similiar objects are
> using identical patterns, so:

Actually, even in this case I often texture each object separately, and then
apply some (e.g. random) transformation to the texture itself.
Otherwise, especially if the texture pattern is somewhat regular (e.g. marble
bands) and two objects are close (e.g. a set of marble tiles), you run the risk
of having the texture noticeably "continue" from one object to the next.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt