POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Sabotage and destruction of the Lincoln : Re: The Sabotage and destruction of the Lincoln Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Sabotage and destruction of the Lincoln
From: H E  Day
Date: 31 Jan 2001 17:36:21
Message: <3A789359.E5F71BED@heday.freeservers.com>
>         Looks pretty excellent!  I really love your sense of design.  I just
> checked out your website and was reminded of all the cool stuff I've
> seen coming from your direction.

Graci!

>         -- I loved the planetary rings

The only one. :(

>         -- I loved the emense sense of scale that slight
>            curvature of the planet and the rings bring out

To think that came naturally....

       -- *I* like the explosion, but it might work just as well if it were a
bit more transparent.

That'd be difficult. You see, the explosions are isosurfaces, so they are by
default, solid.

>         -- This space scene should probably be a little more stark.
>            I mean, the shadows should look almost pitch black, cause
>            almost all the light from the scene is coming from the
>            star with just a little fill coming from the planet and
>            the rings.  This is most noticeable in the giant asteroid
>            in the bottom of the frame.

Hmmm. on my monitor, they *are* stark. :) Maybe you might want to change your
gamma a tad...

>         -- I think the gas giant could be made much cooler by using
>            layered textures (one cloud color per layer) or by
>            actually making several layers of spheres with different
>            colored clouds on them so that they could cast shadows
>            on each other.

Render time wins out on this one, buddy. I barely have enough patience to finish
this render. :)

>         -- Finally, (whew!) I think the asteroid shape looks a little
>            funny.  It would probably benefit a lot by adding craters
>            of some kind.  If fact, maybe the majority of the shape
>            should be like a potato that someone has attacked with
>           a melon baller!!

I'll try it!!

Thanks again!

H.E. Day